Sunday, July 17, 2011

something refreshing

One of my all time favorite summer drinks is Mint Julep...when I was a kid we had a large patch of mint growing in the back yard and my mom would whip up a batch every summer.

It is simply refreshing mixed with Sprite, Lemonade, Limeade, or Gingerale. Find a patch of mint and whip some up for yourself. Trust me, you will love it!


Mint Julep

4 Cups water
4 Cups sugar
5 1/3 Cups lemon juice
1 Quart tightly packed spearmint leaves
Green food coloring

Boil water and sugar until the sugar melts. Stir in lemon juice then stir in mint leaves. Let sit overnight in fridge. Strain leaves from syrup and add a few drops of green food coloring. Store in fridge or freezer.

Mix with ice and Gingerale, Sprite, lemonade, or limeade. This makes a lot so you can make half or a third of a batch, or share with friends.

I'm linking up over at Casey's so if you want to check out other fab recipes check it out.

10 comments:

Rachel B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel B said...

I have peppermint leaves. Do you think they would work? If not, maybe we will have to grow spearmint next year for sure!

Val said...

What a refreshing Summer drink.

Style Journey said...

Thanks for this recipe. I had mint julep for my first time on vacation and it was delicious!

Jessie said...

Trying this fo sho!

Monica and Whitney said...

That looks amazing! I might have to try that.

Ask the Duplex

Heather @ we.are.the.holdens said...

This sounds so refreshing...thanks for your comment.
Can't wait to follow along on your blog. :)

Sharstin said...

Yum, I want to def try this baby!

Ashley said...

Mint Julep is my favorite!! So refreshing!

marie said...

I love mint. Wish I would have planted some this year, maybe next year if I can get it together. I am not so much a green thumb. I am like a baby with my garden and am constantly calling my mom for help.