Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

It was seven years ago and I still have a hard time thinking about what happened without the same feelings of fear, sorrow, and anxiety. Like so many others I was on my way to work when I heard about it on the radio. At first I thought it was a joke; it was just too hard to comprehend. How could something like this happen? Who could so such a monstrous thing? Once I arrived at the office the tv was already blaring the news coverage. We all huddled around the tv glued to it the entire morning. Like so many others we couldn't concentrate or even think about working. We shut everything down and went home.

I remember continuing to watch the same stories and footage for days. It was devastating and graphic but nearly impossible to focus on anything else. The wound has healed but there is still a huge scar.

This morning on my way to drop Noah off at daycare I decided to take a small detour and drive around 'the healing field' so we could see the flags. It was such a beautiful morning with the crispness in the air and the sun peeking over our mountains. The flags flew gloriously, all 1776 of them. There is a very special solemn and sacred feeling even in just driving by. I hope to continue to see flags throughout the journey of my day as a little reminder of what we have and what we have been through.




4 comments:

Rachel B said...

Thanks for being mindful Laura...I still remember exactly what I was doing that day when I first heard of the Trade Center. We will try to get over there sometime today.

Perschon Family said...

That was a very thoughtful post! I remember being in my sports med class when I found out and I ran home to watch the news. I remember those feelings of anxiety and unbelief all too well!

That was a good idea to go past the "healing field!" I may have to do that today as well!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Lyf2.0 said...

Thanks Laura. You brought tears to my eyes.

Channa said...

I found myself just as glued to the MSNBC rebroadcast last night as I was that morning. 7 years hasn't dimmed the horror and shock very much, I guess.
Thanks for finding my blog, Laura. Lauren and I love seeing what you're up to!