Friday, June 3, 2011

Gotta earn it

Having one and only one kid makes spontaneous detours way too easy. Getting a treat or movie from Red Box is no problem. I don't have to deal with fighting, whining, or leaving anyone out.

Trips to Target use to include a walk down the toy isle and bringing something home. Noah always wanted to go to Target when I was going. Whoops! We had to put a stop to that and fast! I want to spoil Noah rotten but he needs to be appreciative and earn things.

The solution- we came up with the star chart.

Get dressed, earn a star
Make bed, earn a star
Clean up toys, earn a star
Brush teeth, earn a star
Flash me a smile, give me a hug and kiss, earn a star
Be a good boy, earn a star

Once the chart is full Noah can then pick out the toy of his choice. This week he chose another light saber, in green, like Yoda's.

I love the star chart- it's like bribing your kid but it is teaching them to be accountable and earn things.

*********

On tap for the weekend I don't even care what goes down. I have Arrested Development and Modern Family to watch, I'm sure we will go swimming, and the only place I want to hit up is Tucano's, I've had some major cravings.

brazilian limeade
grilled pineapple
cheese bread
garlic parmesan beef
brown sugar glazed ham
and
grilled veggies

5 comments:

Ashley said...

The star chart used to be a staple when I babysat kids- works every time!

Meredith said...

we have a target lover on our hands too. i so don't mind though, mamma loves her some target also;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your waistline and all this eating and craving you have! But, my oh my, those do look fabulous! Have a piece of pineapple for me:)

marie said...

Ha, Ha. I love that he earns a star for a smile or a kiss. We are such suckers as moms.

Rachel B said...

What a great way to help Noah to be accountable! Love the star Chart! And I am so proud of you for being so diligent with your blog. I have lost my passion. It seems to come and go. But I feel like I am missing important memories by not blogging as much. Good for you for staying current! I need to follow your example and get busy again! I am so excited for summer! And now I really want Tucanos....