Monday, October 8, 2007

Sunday Drive

After our spiritual edification for the day we decided to go for quick Sunday drive to check out the progress of my parents new home. The weather today was gorgeous and couldn't be wasted by being inside all day. The house is totally coming along. My favorite new addition since I was last there was the outdoor fireplace. And this is the view. Gorgeous. I love the old neighborhood!

On the drive home we were talking about Elder Oak's talk about spending more quality time together as a family; eating dinner together, more free time for kids, less 'structured' activities, i.e. sports, games, practices. I fully agree. I can't imagine having to shuttle my kids to various games, practices, etc. every night of the week, everyone going different directions, and then having to juggle giving each quality time and support. The chaos of constant dinners on the go and not keeping to a schedule completely freaks me out.

It seems like kids these days don't know how to use their imaginations, they have to rely on video games, TV, etc. to give them constant stimulation. Just ask my friend who is a school teacher. The kids are different now as to compared to when she started teaching several years ago. While these things aren't bad...its just about moderation.

When we were little we were always outside playing and exploring. We used to make maps of the trails above our house, name the trials, then draw in new ones and dig them out. Sometimes we would find old bones, tape off the area, and have an archaeological dig. Making mud and grass pies in frisbees was fun. Playing mad scientist was awesome--we would smash leaves and choke cherries through a pipe with one end blocked by a rock which was used to strain a secret secret potion into a cup. Playing with other neighborhood kids. Hiking up 'steepy' our designated sledding hill and tubing down. Although TV and Nintendo were fun we weren't dependant on them. We were able to go out and play and have a great time entertaining ourselves. I want my kids to be able to go and do the same things.

2 comments:

Lyf2.0 said...

Awwww... Good memories. I forgot about the trails and maps. I loved playing Kick the Can after cooking out in Brighton. Nice pic of Crow's Foot.

Laura said...

Oh yeah, kick the can was so fun. Loved the cookouts too! We had so many fun times!